Saturday, December 10, 2016

Aleph


Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord! Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart, who also
do no wrong, but walk in his ways! You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently. Oh that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes! Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all your commandments. I will praise you with an upright heart, when I learn your righteous rules. I will keep your statutes; do not utterly forsake me!
- Psalm 119:1-8 ESV
This is the first section in the longest chapter in the Bible - the longest psalm ever to be written. I remember when I was younger, I heard these things and did my best to avoid ever reading this Psalm - I was so sure it would take me years to read this huge thing. It must take up like half the Bible!

Haha, well, not quite that much. Eventually I learned that this Psalm wasn't too long after all: only the size of two or three normal size chapters. And, in this psalm, it's split into 20 mini-sections, that are even shorter then most of the shortest chapters in the Bible.

My one-year Bible plan had me start Psalm 119 last week. And it blew me away.

I decided to take a break from my plan to start reading one mini-section every morning and one every evening. And in those times, I felt an unexplainablely deep connection with the author. I felt like whoever wrote this psalm knew exactly what was in my heart, and felt the same way. In every little section, I found one or two sentences that applied so-perfectly to my life. And, I'd like to share this first one with you...

This verse is marked "12.03.16" in my Bible. Here's what it says...
Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord!
From past sermons, I remembered that the word "blessed" means "extremely and abundantly happy". And to me, "walking in" implies "immersion in" or "surrounding with". So from there, I put the pieces together...
People who are all-in immersing themselves in the ways of God, who do what's right, develop a great, long-lasting happiness that's exhibited throughout their lives.
This struck home to me so strongly, that it felt almost verbal - it was that powerful. And it's true! The times that I've been all-in immersed in the ways of God, I am supernaturally happy. I just tend to forget that in every other part of the day - and have to fight myself to actually take time to do it.

But slowly and surely I'm starting to maintain a regular schedule, where I'm in God's Word, studying His message to you and me.

What about you? Do you have a time and place to dig into God's word, each day, free of distractions?

No comments:

Post a Comment